Tuesday, February 18, 2014

To Blog or Not to Blog that is the Question

 

During these past two semesters of my educational journey, I have been introduced to several new technological experiences and blogging is one of them. As I close out another quarter I am asking myself two questions “what new knowledge have I gained?” and “will I or how will I use this knowledge?” An obvious answer to the first question is I gained the knowledge of how to blog. Great, woohoo, I can blog. Now however, I am led to a deeper question and that is will I use this skill ever again? A part of me says “no” because at times it just felt like added work. When I allow myself to get past that surface response of “no” however, I see my answer transforming to a “yes.” Yes I can see blogging as a valuable tool not only for myself, but also for the learners that I encounter (I can’t believe I just said that).

In 15 Reasons Why Blogging Matters More Than Ever, Mitch Joel highlighted reasons for blogging that touch on my areas of interest, metacognition and social-emotional development. Mitch Joel shared for example, that blogging allows you to “get something off your chest” good, bad, or indifferent and provides “different perspectives” by breaking down “cultural and geographical borders.” Pernille Ripp also shared the top 10 reasons of Why Students Should Blog. Ripp’s reasons also touch on metacognition and social-emotional development. Through this educational and technological journey, I have also come across a couple of blogs that I have been able to use as resources in my work the pre-service early educators such as Teach Preschool and Teaching Metacognition through Critical Reflection: Strategies and Tools.

Essentially, I do see the benefits of blogging especially as a tool for developing the pre-service early educator’s metacognitive and social-emotional skills. I also have to admit that I see how it has provided me with an opportunity think things through out loud (so to speak) and share my perspective. So the short answer is yes I will utilize and incorporate reviewing and creating blogs into my work with the pre-service early educator. From my perspective, blogging is a valuable metacognitive tool and process for the blogger.

1 comment:

  1. I find that preservice teachers respond well to reflecting in the blog environment, particularly during clinical experiences. As long as they know they can't name schools, teachers or children publicly, they like connected online with other preservice students who have similar fears of teaching that they do! I find these don't usually get expressed in papers, but do in blogs!

    ReplyDelete