Sunday, December 29, 2013

Synapses, Neurons, and Glia…Oh My!

Neuroscience, what an intimidating yet interesting topic!  One would think that knowledge of the brain and its functions would come naturally to an educator, especially because the brain is the organ used to gain knowledge. This topic however, has helped me to recognize just how little I do know about the brain and how it functions. Judy Willis explicated in her blog “A Neurologist Makes the Case for Teaching Teachers About the Brain the need for integrating a foundational understanding of neuroscience into the teacher education curriculum.  In an effort to gain further understanding, as a learner and learning leader, of the brain and how it functions, the Genes to Cognition online interactive brain provided an opportunity take an up close and personal look at the brain. Additionally, Genes to Cognition online provided an opportunity to gain an understanding of the cognitive processes related to learning and memory


http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1996-08-29/
 

Metacognition is also an area of interest that I have as a learner and learning leader. As a learner developing the skill to “think about my thinking” aids in making connections between new and prior learning and as a learning leader this is necessary skill which will assist me with making necessary adjustments to my instructional strategies. Scoop.it, Pearltrees, and Wisemapping are online thought organization tools. Utilizing organizational tools such as these assist with documenting and cultivating thoughts. ItsMyDiary which is an online diary, is another metacognition tool that learners can use to assist with processing thoughts.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracey:
    I remember watching Dr. Judy Willis in some Laureate Education videos for my Masters with Walden - I found her fascinating!

    ReplyDelete